10/22/10

So many new milestones

Our life as the parents of two children 9 months apart is never quiet or laid back and rarely easy. But when I look at how much our children have grown and how much they have accomplished in a little over a year...wow I'm amazed.
Haven is now potty trained. Can I get a Woot Woot! She rarely has accidents. If they happen it is because she doesn't understand there is a potty to got to. I had to explain to her that even the grocery store has a toilet. She has moved into a toddler bed  Alec isn't really OK with that. You see it is his crib that got converted into the toddler bed and he got her old crib. He keeps telling me he wants to sleep in his "old" bed. But this is the way it has to be for now. The beds we had bought them before they came home are Captain's beds. They are just a little too high for them right now.
Now when I say she is sleeping in a toddler bed I mean that loosely. She is having to go to sleep in the play and pack and be then carried to her bed or she won't let Alec sleep. The same thing gets done at nap time. If I don't she just keeps getting out of bed and waking him up to play. The play and pack had to be moved out of our room. Haven figured out how to use her body to move it around the room to get into my things. UGH. That girl is always a challenge. So now it is in the entry way by the front door. Not pretty but it works. She can't get into anything without being caught.
Alec's huge accomplishment is he is eating such a variety of foods now. Many he wouldn't touch for over a year. He will now eat EGGS (YEAH), mac & cheese and rice. Of course he wants to eat eggs, morning, noon and night now. He will try new things most of the time without much fuss. So here is hoping we won't have to continue to buy so much of the meatless/soyless mushroom chicken nuggets that cost an arm and a leg.
They both are doing really well with learning the alphabet and colors. Drilling Haven with flashcards really helped her get the colors down. They love to read books and will now sit and tell me the story. Books have become a lifesaver in the car as long as they don't get dropped.
The new life skill they have learned is climbing. Not one I am particularly that found of right now. They scaled their little bookcase to sit in front of the TV and be able to turn it on and off. Not a sight I was happy about.
This is the day after they got into my purse and Haven ruined my sunglasses, was into my expensive migraine oil and Alec was coloring with my Burt's Bees chap stick on the kitchen table. Yes like I said our days are rarely easy.
Haven is very interested in seeing herself in the mirror and if I won't take her right away she has found a way to get to the mirror. Standing on the toilet. Need to get that girl a floor length mirror.
Heath wise, we are still battling their giardia. I thought only Haven still had it, since Alec had no clinical signs. But we got the whole family retested since she came up positive again and he had it too. Our pediatrician is working with a parasitologist and they are on a combo drug regiment right now used for resistant giardia cases. Praying this works.

1 Kind Words:

Paula said...

So many changes in such a short time. It really is miraculous, isn't it?