4/27/11

Is it Spring Yet?

Yes I know it is almost May, but the Spring weather has not come to Oregon. We had the 5th wettest March in the history books and April hasn't been much better. There have been 3 glorious sunny filled days and the rest have been wet or a tease of sun and then WET.
But being a TRUE Oregonian means you do not let the weather keep you from doing things outside. So the kids and I went off to see the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival. We had a wonderful time until the HAIL started and the torrential downpour came. But there was a time for a few pictures.


Easter came and went last weekend. Seems like time is flying by. The kids went with Daddy to an Easter Egg Hunt at Church on Sat. The weather was nice that day so they actually got to hunt outside.


Life has been a little challenging for me lately. Haven has had a little bit of a regression and she is getting very angry at something I wouldn't think would be important and we are having HUGE meltdowns. I was actually embarrassed to be with her yesterday at the store. She was sitting in the grocery cart screaming no at the top of her lungs and swinging to hit me. I still don't know what set her off.  Talk about being stared at!! Not that I'm not used to that already with the family we have. But usually we are noticed for my children's cuteness not appalling behavior. I pulled the cart through the store to get the few things I needed to make dinner, instead of pushing. She screamed the whole time to the point that strangers were telling her to be nice to her Mommy. The check out lady is the one that calmed her down and she actually apologized to me. Her sensory issues with clothes are getting more pronounced, makes getting dressed in the morning very stressful. I'm just cleaning out her clothes and selling them at the big second hand sale this weekend. Everything she won't wear is going away to stop the morning meltdown when she says she wants to wear it, but then freaks out because the pants are capris (she has a thing about having her ankles covered). Time to get the book about sensory issues that was recommended to me by our therapist.
What is so sad is she never acts this way with anyone else, not even her Dad. She does have some meltdowns with him, but not the huge blow ups she has with me. Makes me question my ability to parent her all over again. I know children act differently with their Mothers than Fathers, but still makes me sad. When she is doing well, she is such a joy to be with.

Alec on the other had has seem to come out of his brief period of really bad 2 year old behavior. He was embracing the terrible twos with arms wide open and I was missing my sweet boy, big time. But he has calmed down the last couple of weeks and is a joy to be with again. I am always amazed at his outgoing, friendly behavior. We we first came home he was so tiny, but would say hi to everyone. People thought it was Haven, because he was so small they didn't expect him to talk. He runs into church and shakes everyone's hand saying GOOD MORNING. He also is so outgoing and determined to make new friends. When he sees a new child, he goes over to meet them. He introduces the whole family; Alec, Haven, Mommy, Daddy. He doesn't take no for an answer when a child doesn't want to say hi, he just keeps talking and saying hi to them, until they finally talk back to him. I watch him in awe, as a child, if someone wasn't open to talking to me, it would have hurt my feelings and I would have stopped. Not Alec, he wants to be your friend, you will be his friend. I hope he never looses this trait and I can protect him somehow from having his feelings hurt.

1 Kind Words:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.