7/14/10

Haven's surgery

Last week our girl had ear surgery. She had a tube placed in one ear and a hole in her eardrum of the other ear patched. When we were landing in DC from Addis Haven's ear drum ruptured. OUCH! We having been dealing with ear infections and rupturing ear drums ever since she got on US soil. So enough is enough I asked for her to have the procedures done.
She was so brave. I was very concerned about her having a melt down being separated from me. She can't stand it when I leave a room and has to follow me everywhere. So I asked for some sedation for her before the procedure.
Wow what a difference that made, she just let the nurse carry her to the OR without any crying.
For 30 minutes we waited. I fretted and Naing read. I really wasn't concerned about Haven going under anesthesia. They use SEVO on children and it is the safest thing out there. We used it all the time at the vet clinic so I didn't have the normal fear of most parents. My fear was that she would feel abandoned and freak out not knowing where she was.
She came through surgery fine. But her recovery was hard. She didn't like not being able to control her body's movements, was very mad and expressive about her lack of control. She was crying non-stop in recovery. So we finally convinced them to let us take her home. She cried the whole way home and for a brief moment when we stepped in the door. But after seeing her brother, dogs and toys all was well in the world.
Now the hard part, trying to keep ear plugs in a 2 year old's ears when she is having her hair washed or playing in water.
We go back for our recheck appointment next week to see if the patch is working and hopefully her ear drum will start repairing itself. If that is not happening then she will have to have major surgery when she is older to repair the eardrum.
I can already see a difference in her pronunciation. She now says sorry instead of "orry". Doesn't really seem to listen to me any different when I'm giving her direction, but that is another story.


PS. Hope you like the new format of my blog. I won Christie's give away of a new blog. I love it! So if you need help with a new format check her out.
Her blog is abushelandapeck.

4 Kind Words:

Debbie said...

While I'm very sorry that she had to have surgery at all, I'm glad things went well and she's recovering now. I'm crossing fingers and toes and the eardrum heals and no more surgeries are in her future.

Debbie said...

And I love the new blog look.

Paula said...

Poor little Haven. Hope her recovery goes well.

MommaT said...

So glad Havens surgery is over and she is doing better! I am so jealous you won the makeover:) I was trying to win it too:) Hope to see you all at Doves Aug picnic