12/1/09

New Words for Haven

I am recording the list of words for her so they are not forgotten in the day to day.
The newest words to her vocabulary are luv u, stay,happy, on, excuse me, bad and wait for it... alligator. Haven likes to put on bags and act like Naing leaving for work with his back pack. She says bye bye and waves and walks down the hall. That is where luv u started. I would always say bye bye, love you. Then I added the childhood favorites of see you later alligator, afterwhile crocodile and toodaloo caribou. She would just laugh at that, but today she said, bye bye, luv u and alligator. Smart girl.
She loves to take the sponge letters they play with in the tub and hold it up for me to tell her the letter and a word that starts with the letter.
There are days that I feel I can't give Haven everything she needs and her needs are overwhelming when I'm also trying to met Alec's needs. But then I see the growth in her knowledge and think ok maybe I'm doing ok.
They went with me to Costco for the first time yesterday. When we walked in and she say all the big screen tvs with movies going she was in awe. She said ohhhh and then after a minute yeah and started clapping. I just thought about how different her life is. There is no Costco in Addis or Meki to buy things in bulk and be tempted by all the Christmas decorations. There are no ladies giving out samples of food to entice you to buy something on impulse. Haven loved the food, she can never have enough food in her mind. After getting a sample from one of the women she was on the look out and let me know when she saw another lady handing out food.
As we were walking through the store and she was pointing at everything in excitement, I thought does anyone really need a big screen tv. I fight the impulse to buy her everything because she has had nothing until now. I don't want her to be materialistic and not share with others that have greater needs than we do. All the things you think about as a Mother.

2 Kind Words:

Debbie said...

Apparently my husband needs a big screen t.v. LOL!!!!

Don't ever doubt your ability to provide what is best for both of your children at the same time. Yes, it is more challenging, but remember that while you are teaching one child, the other is learning as well :-)

Elijah G. said...

This is great. I've never heard, "toodaloo, caribou!" Gonna have to add that one to my list.