4/28/10

Having children changes everything.

I moved away from Texas and my family living there when I was 17 years old. It was wonderful to go home and see everyone, share my children with them. I visit every couple of years now but going home with my children was totally different. More biter sweet. I always miss my family when I leave them, but this time the sadness has lingered.

Our family is big, competitive and loud. The cousins in Texas all grew up together. They support each other and still have fun together as adults like they did as children. Watching them play with my children was so touching. As a parent I feel like I'm cheating my children by not having their cousins, Aunts and Uncles near them. They won't get to experience that closeness on a daily basis from my family or Naing's large family.

To add to that sadness was seeing how old my Mom looks. She has aged even more since I saw her in December. When we left our visit at her apartment I couldn't help wondering if this was the last time we would see her in her own apartment.

Haven and Alec had a wonderful experience visiting my family and they loved all the attention and admiration they received while they were in Texas. But they are happy to be home, happy to be in their beds and so estatic to have their toys back. Alec has played non-stop with his cars and the shopping cart since he got home. They don't know what they are missing not living close to the family so I need to stop being sad about it and enjoy the beauty of the NW in the spring with my children.

0 Kind Words: