4/22/10

It is official my boy can dance!

I have been in Texas for a little over a week for my nephew's wedding. He got married at a lovely vineyard in the hill country of Austin. This has been an adventure coming down to Texas with the kids by myself. They did very well on the plane, but going through security was a NIGHTMARE.
Mindy, Zac and Anthony walked us to security helping us with the bags. Haven was extremely upset when they left. She is running after them and I'm trying to corral her, Alec and manage three carry ons. The TSA agents didn't make me wait in the line, that was nice. Second thing that went wrong, we had to take Haven's shoes off. Don't mess with my girl's shoes! Big melt down. We went through the metal detector and my brace on my wrist set it off. Since the kids were with me all three of us had to be searched. Haven still in melt down mode because they had her shoes and she could see them. I asked if she could have her shoes, no they had to be checked for explosives. Did I say she was in a meltdown? Words can't even describe it. All three of us had to be patted down. They wanted me to put Alec down. No I answered he will take off and I was having a hard enough time dealing with the screaming daughter on the floor. Finally they let her have her shoes back, but then she was refusing to put them back on. I got her shoes, my shoes and Alec's shoes back on. Got all the luggage loaded into the cart and one of the TSA workers helped me get them to the gate.
Once there, things settled down and Haven loved seeing the planes. The flight was good. Not much drama. Haven got scared looking out the window so I had her switched seats with Alec and all was good. We watched, "We Sing Sillyville" and Alec was as happy as can be. When we landed in Dallas I had them wait until the other passengers were off the plane before we got off. The man sitting across the isle from us got a surprise. While he was standing in line to deplane, Haven grabbed his hand and held it. (Going to Haven to watch this girl very carefully she would go off with anyone.)
We had a day to chill in Dallas at Aunt Donna's before heading to Austin. My niece, Taylor rode with us down to Austin and helped me keep the kids happy in a hotel room. Two toddlers running amok in the hotel room that is not baby proofed and getting into suitcases. UGH.
Alec got into the oatmeal packets while I was dressing Haven for the wedding and spread it all over the hotel room. Had the call the maid back for the 2nd time that day. We got all dressed up and boarded the bus that took us to the wedding venue. Kids proceeded to fall asleep on me and take a little snooze for that hour drive.
The did so well at the ceremony. I couldn't have asked for better children! Except Haven peed on Aunt Patty. (I say that is payback for the sucker she gave my child, but I digress.) It was a beautiful outside ceremony and we enjoyed the reception. But I don't know if even the bride and groom enjoyed it as much as Alec.

Keaton and Stacie, did their first dance very early in the reception so people would dance. As soon as the music started Alec, was wiggling in my lap trying to get down, chanting music, music. We were the first "couple" on the dance floor after the bride and groom were done dancing. Alec wowed everyone with his dance moves and was being photographed alot. I hope some of them are in the proofs so I can get a copy of them. People were approaching me and commenting on how well he danced and his beauty. Yep beauty. I have never had so many strangers tell me how beautiful my children were before. We danced into the wee hours of the morning.

Haven on the other hand, was enjoying the lavishing of attention from her Aunt Patty, my cousin Cindy and her husband Dan. That made my life so much easier, I just had to chase after Alec and they took care of her. She danced and kept trying to cut in on her Uncle Fred's dances. When she saw him dancing she was trying to get him to dance with her, but when he wanted her to dance with him she ran away. Can you say tease? We all had a wonderful time and both kids fell asleep on me on the bus ride home.
I apologize for the lack of pictures but I never had a chance to take any. Alec was on the move the whole night.
On the whole my children have done incredibly well with all the change and all the new people to meet. It has been a little challenging because my sister's house is not baby proofed.

2 Kind Words:

Debbie said...

I can relate to your airport chaos. We had a similar experience with Lili going through security. She did not want to take her shoes off and was not happy at all that they came off her feet. TSA had to search one of our bags because I had powdered formula in it and the entire time Lili was having a melt down. Granted, I wasn't by myself, but please know you are far from the only mom/dad who has had to deal with a child melting down while going through airport security.

Sounds like you've been having a good time in Texas though.

Alisha J said...

I've never tried two but one child in the airport is bad enough! Hang in there Mommy--just think you've still gotta come home:) Just kidding. I'm with you though, when my son was younger places that weren't childproofed (even my Mothers) were a nightmare!

Alisha J