4/9/10

My children always amaze me

Yesterday was a why wasn't I thinking day. Haven was having a difficult day from the time she woke up. Everything was a battle with her. I so thought a nap would fix it and then I could run errands and get things done for our trip next week. Yes I know all the exprienced Moms are laughing out loud right about now.
But I perservered. The kids napped well Haven sort of napped. She is fighting a nap now. We had lunch, packed them up and went off to Washington Square Mall.
I need to return some valances we got and get shoes for the wedding and an outfit for the rehersal dinner.(My wardrobe is lacking these days.)
I put the kids in the stroller because I knew I didn't want to be chasing them down. The first 20 minutes went well and then it was downhill from there. Haven was putting her foot in Alec's face, Alec was hitting and pulling her hair. Both were messing with each others shoes and screaming at each other. So I thought I was so smart, I removed their shoes and socks, put my coat between them...hahaha. Haven continued to put her foot in Alec's face until he bit her toe. Alec kept screaming stuck so I would let him out of the stroller. I kept telling him you are not stuck you are strapped in the stroller so you don't fall out. No STUCK I got screamed back to me. People were staring and not because of the normal your children are beautiful stares, so lucky stares and comments I normally get.
I wasn't going to give in to their demands I kept going. Got my outfit, the mirror in the dressing room kept them entertained for a little bit. When we got to the shoe department, things got good in Haven's world. Rows and rows of shoes. So I gave her a few shoes to try on while I tried on the shoes I wanted. Then we were done and they kept insisting they were hungry and wanted to eat. Silly kids they just ate lunch.....no, no, no these simple tasks took almost 3 hours because of stopping to referre all the time. As I was driving home and they were drinking the drinks I brought for them I kept saying to myself am I just crazy that I think I can do all this with two kids in tow. When will I learn.
We are driving home listening to music, they love music. In fact the brief seconds they have to wait for the song to change on the cd is too long for them. They chant music, music thinking I turned it off. But I degress. Haven started spitting so of course Alec started spitting. So I threatened to turn off the music if they did not stop, Alec stopped. Did Haven, nope she got louder. So I turned the music off. As Alec is chanting for the music...wait for it...Haven starts counting. She counted 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 (no 3). I was so proud of her, all the frustration for her behavior flew out the window. We counted the whole way home and did our ABCs. Lesson learned just when I think Haven is never going to listen, she amazes me with her brillance.

1 Kind Words:

Paula said...

Becky, even the "experienced moms" have those days, believe me. I always tell people that cuteness is a survival tactic in the young.