8/17/08

The paperwork begins

Once Naing started his new job at PSU, we started the adoption paperwork. Now adoption is not foreign to me, my sister adopted from the Ukraine, my best friend has two domestically adopted children and another good friend, Lisa had a daughter adopted from the Ukraine. So when we started looking at agencies, I had some idea of what I wanted from an agency. We we looking at international adoption because it would be some what faster for us and since we are in our 40s I didn't want to wait for years to have our children come home. Friends of ours told us about Ethiopia adoptions, they had looked into it. After looking at different countries and what their criteria/restrictions are and the agencies criteria/restrictions, we found a fit with a smaller agency out of Banks, Oregon called Dove adoptions and chose Ethiopia. Now remember I told you earlier Naing lived in Ethiopia as a child for two years. The more we researched it the more I knew it was the right place for us. We decided to adopt two children at once so our children will have a sibling. Our siblings are so important to us, we wanted our children to have that special bond as well.
We got our home study and our dossier packet and I was overwhelmed with the amount of paperwork. Where do you start????? I decided to do them at the same time, so anything I had to have for both packets I could do at once and not have to duplicate at a later date. I have to admit at certain points of time in this process I felt like we were in over our head, with all the questionnaires and signed, notarized documents. But we got through it all and we started our on-line courses. I finished all my paperwork and did what I could of Naing's and was waiting for him to get on the stick. I didn't want to nag him, but I felt like he was holding up the process. But I let him do it at his own pace, cuz I felt like this is our journey and maybe he needs to take longer to get through this than I do. Well that philosophical wisdom didn't last long, I started to nag.
Then the most wonderful thing happened.

0 Kind Words: