2/12/09

Dental appointment

I have bad gums. I take great care of my teeth, but have been cursed w/genetically bad gums.
So about 6 months ago I had a new laser procedure done on my gums to help stop the gum loss and maybe (keep your fingers crossed) generate new gum and bone growth. Today I had my 2nd check up after the procedure and I got good marks!! Yeah. Now I'm released to go back to my closer to home dentist.

But the cool thing is I was talking to the dental hygienist about our adoption and she gave me great tips for how to start caring for the children's teeth right when we get them home. She also told me and I never thought about this, you should brush your children's teeth until they are at the end of their 7th year. Until they are able to write well they are not coordinated enough with their hands to brush well. I know you just went HMMMM. Never thought of it that way did you?

She has a mother born in India and we were talking about having multi-national families. It was a very enjoyable conversation. Made me almost forget I was in the dentist chair.
The farther I get into the process, I realize how many people have been touched by adoption in some way or know someone that is adopted. Or know someone that is from another country and their journey to the US. It does amaze me how huge the world seems, but it is really quite small.
So as we sit at day 86, yes 86 and waiting for our referrals, all I wish for is that we get our referrals soon. That we can see those sweet faces and know our lives will be so much more enriched by those children from so far away.

1 Kind Words:

Paula said...

I helped my kids brush their teeth FOREVER, but it's just because I'm a little bit of a control freak sometimes. ;)