9/28/10

Little changes are happening

Every day the kids change, grow, learn a little more. It really is amazing to me. One year ago they didn't know English and now they are motor mouths. Haven is starting to become a tattle tail. Even when I catch her in the act, she says "Alec did it". Yesterday I awoke to Haven yelling "Alec did it", "Alec did it". When I went into their bedroom, Haven and Alec had both taken off their overnight diapers and thrown them across the room. She is totally nude in her bed, he has his pajama top on still and she points at him and says "No No Alec, naughty, Alec did it". She is always trying to mother him and tell him what to do. His response to her is usually a scream of NOOOOOO back at her.
Haven is an interesting person. Sometimes she baffles me. We will be reading and I will ask her to find something simple on the page of the book...like the dog. She will point to the wrong thing on purpose and laugh and say no that's not it. She sometimes refuses to find the right object even when she knows what it is.
She has had some difficulty learning her colors. She will tell you the wrong answer with that as well and I don't always know if she is kidding or really thinks the orange is brown. So we have been using the color flash cards to see if that helps her.
Just when I think she might not learn the way I'm trying to teach her. She blows me out of the water with proof that she is listening and taking the information in. She likes to get on the digital scale. She stands, sits and lays on it to see the numbers light up. The other night she got on in full clothes after dinner and she was 27 pounds. I told her how much she weighed and showed her the 2 and the 7. The next day she got on the scale in her underpants and only weighed 24 pounds. She looked at me and said "where did the 7 go?. You could have picked my jaw up off the floor.
One of our friends gave Haven a magna doodle for her birthday. This has become the favorite toy of both Alec and Haven. They "color" on it and make pictures with shapes and we use it to write numbers and the ABCs. I then identify each letter and give the letter a word to help them memorize. Yesterday as I was buckling Alec into his carseat he pointed to the "d" on my Wicked shirt and said "Mommy  D for Daddy." I was so proud of him. They both point to letters on envelopes or the tv and say ABCs. So I must be doing something right.
Alec's new favorite thing is "The Wiggles". Yes it is Wigglemania at our house. The horrible thing is I get the stupid songs stuck in my head and can't get rid of them. But they enjoy it so much!!!
Alec also now gets the joke, "Just say yes Mommy". He finds it very funny and when I'm scolding will laugh and say "OK Mommy" with a big ole smirk on his face. He is a funny kid. I'm a little worried we will have a class clown on our hands. He is always trying to make the other kids laugh.
Each day they amaze me. Even on the days that need a do over...they are so brilliant.

2 Kind Words:

Paula said...

I have to tell you that I think Haven and Candace have very similar personalities... that's not a bad thing, but it is a challenge!

Becky and Naing said...

yes she is a challenge that is for sure!!