11/28/10

Warning this story contains poop

My friend Jill, told me I needed to post this story of my children and the poopy diaper. But first I need to give some background information. Haven has had an issue with poop and wanting to touch and (this is not for the weak of stomach) eat it when she first came home. So I made a HUGE thing about how GROSS poop is and we don't touch it and we don't eat it. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago.
Haven is very good about staying in her big girl bed in the morning or coming straight into our room to let us know she is up. One morning, after a long night of Alec being up multiple times, Haven came into my room and asked if it was time to get up. I told her no, it was still dark outside and Mommy needed to sleep a little longer. I asked her to go get a book for Alec and a book for herself to read, so I could sleep a little longer.
She did just that and I was able to drift off a little longer.

Then I heard on the baby monitor...... a diaper being ripped off, Alec saying "poop is gross!". Haven saying " Mommy is sleeping...shhhhh."  I got up and got into their bedroom to find Haven in Alec's crib trying to clean up his dirty bottom and re-diaper him. She had gotten the baby wipes off of the changing table, wiped him, taken the dirty wipe and put it back on the changing table and got back into the crib with a new diaper. All by the time I got out of bed and walked across the hall.  Needless to say there was poop in Alec's crib so we had a lot of wash to do that day.

Haven always surprises me. She has a very strong mothering instinct and always tries to take care of Alec. She loves babies and always wants to see and hold them. But I didn't expect her to try to take care of me by letting me sleep and changing Alec's diapers.  Sweet girl. I thanked her, but reminded her it was my job to take care of Alec. My job to change his poopy diapers.

I always wonder what her life was like in the orphanage and the more I get to know her, I think she must have helped take care of the babies (even though she was a baby herself). Maybe someday she can tell  me what it was like. There are so many pieces of her story I don't know and I wish there was some way to find out so I could know my daughter better and understand why she approaches some of life's challenges like she does.

PS. I hope I didn't gross anyone out with the poop talk, but hey most the readers of this blog are parents...so they know what is in a dirty diaper.

3 Kind Words:

Paula said...

That's a good story. :) Even though poop was involved, I think it's sweet that she was trying to help you out. And she got to do something with poop. For Haven, it probably seemed like a win-win situation.

Even though my girls are older, there are still so many things about their lives in Ethiopia that I wish I knew more about and understood. It would be so great to know what makes their little selves tick sometimes.

Jill said...

That story cracks me up everytime! Haven is such a sweet and smart girl. Love the picture of her sitting on Alec's lap, too!

Debbie said...

Not grossed out one bit here. Of course I also raised a son with Autism to tried to take care of his sensory issues with poop. I'll just leave it at that :-)

You may never know why Haven feels the strong mothering instinct she feels, but I have no doubt it will serve her well in life. And thank the creator of baby monitors or who knows what you would have walked into when you got up. LOL!!!